Thursday, March 1, 2012

What's Cookin' Wednesday

These were really from yesterday, I just didn't get a chance to post. :)

I had seen these floating around on pinterest, and we were making fiesta food for our group night, so I jumped on the opportunity! (And who doesn't love a good margarita?)

Beer-garitas
2 cups of limeade (recipe follows) ((or you can use a can of frozen limeade))
2 bottles of beer (I used Tecate, to keep with the Mexican theme)
1/2 cup of tequila


It's that easy! You mix those three ingredients together and freeze overnight. Take them out a couple hours before you need them, so they can slush up. 


Now for the limeade.
1 cup of fresh lime juice, plus the zest from 2 limes
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup Splenda


Heat the water, zest and Splenda in a saucepan until Splenda is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and return to room temperature. Add the lime juice. Freeze until ready to use. 


Now, for my margaritas, I just mixed the beer and tequila with liquid (not frozen) limeade.


This recipe makes 4 nice-sized margaritas.


I quadrupled the recipe four our group of 8.

Zest the lime into the water.

I had a TON of zest.. I only ended up zesting 5 limes, not 8!

Measure out the Splenda...

Add the Splenda..

Stir and heat until the sugar is dissolved completely.

Add lime juice once it has cooled.

So for one pitcher of doubled recipe (I made two pitchers, total)... 4 cups of limeade, 4 beers and 1 cup of tequila.

Add beer, 

Add tequila,

And freeze!

I guess I forgot to take a picture of these once I poured them up, but this is EXACTLY what they looked like! ;) 

We even had the fancy margarita glasses. (my friends gave me a set of them back in college and I've been looking for a great opportunity to bust them out!)

The beer-garitas were very yummy! They had a great slushy consistency. 

So, I used the Splenda because the girl at Eat Yourself Skinny did. That's where this recipe comes from. I don't love Splenda. It definitely gave it a fake sweet taste. But I get it, she used it because her website is called "Eat Yourself Skinny" :) Also, I think a lighter beer might make them a little tastier. There was definitely a strong beer flavor. In the original, the girl used MGD 64, to get less calories. 

Anyways, everyone seemed to like them! Thanks for being my guinea pigs, group! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...