Thursday, September 29, 2011

Crock Pot Tuesdays

This past Tuesday, we continued the tradition of Crock Pot Tuesday!! Yaay!

I asked hubby all day Monday what meat he wanted. Hours went by, he never told me. It came time to go to the grocery store, so I decided on chicken and found a recipe. He said, "Oh, I was hoping for something with steak in it..." Are you kidding me? Now you tell me?

I digress.

I decided on a chili recipe I saw on pinterest a couple days ago. It's a beef chili from Better Homes and Gardens dot com. You can find the recipe here.

(decided to lead with a picture of the finished dish, to get you excited!)

ingredients:
1 pound of round steak, cubed (3/4 inch), fat trimmed off
1 T cooking oil
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can beef broth
1 C chopped onion
1-2 fresh chopped jalapeno peppers (I used a can of chopped green chiles)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t chili powder
1 T brown sugar
1 1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t ground cumin
1/4 t black pepper



Brown the meat in the oil. No need to cook all the way.

Then, put tomatoes, broth, onions, chiles, spices and steak into crock pot on high for 5-6 hours (10-12 on low). (I did high for 6 hours and I stirred occasionally.)


On top here is a bean salad I made (it's on the website). It's one can of pinto beans (drained and rinsed) and one can of black beans (drained and rinsed) tossed with the zest and juice of two medium limes. I refrigerated the bean salad for a couple hours before eating.

We paired our chili with cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and the bean salad, of course. 

VERY GOOD!

The lime made the dish. Oh so delicious! It sort of turned out more like a soup, though. I think if I had added the beans in to cook (which you can totally do) it would have thickened up the mixture a lot. I would say this recipe made 6 servings. Pretty good deal. 

Hey, I even had leftovers of it today. And I never eat leftovers. :)

Check out my kitchen helper:

I expect our energy bill to be a few cents higher this month. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...