Thursday, September 29, 2011

Adventures in baby food making: Lamb casserole and Peach-pear-strawberry puree!

I know what you're thinking. . . I know. "Lamb??? Who are these people?" :) But seriously, it was on sale with my Kroger card and Hector and I also got a meal out of it. Here goes.

1 lamb rib chop, trimmed of bone and fat and diced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
pinch of dried rosemary or mixed herbs
1/2 cup unsalted chicken broth




*Can I just say that I wasn't thinking about how lamb is actually baby sheep, until I was reading Cohen a story that night and it went over all the names of animals and their babies..... 'nuff said.*

That's our unsalted broth there (we have to mix it up ourselves).

Chop it all and toss it in the casserole dish. Cover and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, then reduce to 300 degrees and bake for another  45 minutes or until lamb is tender.

Then puree. It also said for older babies you could just do a good chop of all of it, like a chunky soup. Well, Coco has no teeth yet, so that was a no for us.  


He liked it! And wanted more. :)

Gotta get that sippy cup any way he can. Pure talent right there.

Picking up his puffs. He's so big!!

Nom nom nom!

So, it was pretty good. But, as for our lamb dinner (mine and Hector's) ((and he looked up a yummy rub recipe with brown sugar, ginger, garlic powder, etc)) we were not impressed. We probably will not buy [baby] lamb again. It had a different taste... made me think of... a baby lamb... crying. Or something like that. Regardless, lamb has B vitamins, iron and zinc. After 6 months, the store of iron that babies have from mama is gone. So they need a lot of supplemental iron. 

I also made Cohen a new fruit dish. Peach-pear-strawberry puree. 

Very pretty fruits!
I looked at my receipt and it said nectarines, instead of peaches. But they were in the peach bin... So, who really knows. 

Cook in a sauce pan for a while. They'll make their own sauce. I recommend chopping the peach and pear into smaller pieces, it took a while for them to get real soft.

Very pretty color!

Baby liked it! But he did a little shiver every now and then... it was a little sour in a few places. :) But, pretty sweet overall.


This morning I warmed up a serving and added a couple scoops of oatmeal. It turned out delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...