Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lactation Cookies


I wanted to go ahead and share the recipe for the cookies I make to help with milk supply. You never know who ya might help when you share interesting info!

These cookies may not be the lowest calorie cookie out there, but I've seen positive results by eating them. Sometimes pumping 0.5-1.0 ounce more in a pumping session. :)

So.. gather these ingredients:

1 stick of butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar (I use light brown sugar)
1 egg
1 Tbsp vanilla
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
2-3 Tbsp water (more if you want moister cookies)
1 Cup whole wheat flour
2-3 Tbsp Brewer's yeast (the only kind that will work)
1/8 tsp himalayan salt (or sea)
1 1/2 Cups rolled oats (the bigger, the better)
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (1/2 a baking bag of them)

Heat the oven to 340 degrees Fahrenheit. Odd, I know. But this temp seems to work. At least, in my oven. :)

(Before you start, take the 2 T flaxseed meal and add the 3 T water to it, stir, let it sit for a few minutes.)

With a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Then add in one egg and the vanilla.

Now, add in that flaxseed/water mixture, mix until well blended.

Now add your dry ingredients: flour, salt and brewer's yeast.

With a big spoon, fold in the oats and chocolate. After it's well mixed, you're ready to bake!

Drop big teaspoonfuls on a stone or metal pan, whatever you prefer. (I use a stone.)



Here's the tricky part, that I don't even have down.. baking time. I try 13-14 min, but maybe my cookies are too big.... The timer goes off, and they usually need 5-7 more minutes! But just watch them, and when they start looking a little golden brown, they're probably done.

(and honestly, these are a little too done) 



YUM! I usually have 2 a day. (good thing nursing burns all those calories anyways!) And what's awesome? Kids love them too! Cohen asks for one almost everyday! And because of all the pretty healthy ingredients.. I oblige! If you want to make them even more healthy, you could substitute raisins or craisins for the chocolate. (But, whyyyy???)

I hope this helps you as it has me! Feel free to share if you want!

1 comment:

  1. when i saw the title- i thought you were including breast milk IN the cookies. I may or may not have judged you for this ;) Glad i read! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...