Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Eventful.

This week has been different for me.. I have had four nights off, I go back tonight. Back tonight for my last three shifts, might I also add.. :)

Interesting fact?
I went to Labor & Delivery on Monday. As you all know, I've been complaining of this horrible pain in my right upper abdomen for a few weeks now, and it's just getting worse. I figured Cohen was just kicking me repeatedly in some organ and it was just insanely sore. But then on Sunday night, I barely slept an hour. The pain was horrible, no position change helped, no amount of pillows helped. So, Monday morning I decided to call my doctor and get her advice. To my great surprise, she told me to check into L&D because it could be my gallbladder or pre-eclampsia. Well, my blood pressure has been beautiful this whole pregnancy, so I was pretty certain it wasn't pre-eclampsia. And on our way to the hospital, I convinced myself that it was definitely gall stones. :( Symptoms include: intense pain after meals (especially fatty meals), bad reflux, pain near my stomach and liver that radiates to my back, near my right shoulder blade. I had all of these.

We took everything. I didn't know what they would be doing! I thought, if it's my gallbladder, they may want to get Cohen out today... again, I didn't know. We left our bags in the car, so we wouldn't look foolish if it was a quick trip. They were expecting me, got me into a room right away, hooked me up to fetal monitors, took blood, etc. I loved watching the fetal monitor! Sweet Cohen's heart beat hanging out at 130 then jumping to 150 (accelerations) then back down to 130 again. The nurse said, "Have you been having any contractions?" Sadly, I replied, "No." She said, "Well, you're having one right now..." Me, "Really??!?" Nurse, "Yes, you don't feel that??" And she showed Hector and me how to recognize contractions on the monitor. It was so neat. Now that she pointed it out, I could recognize a different feeling when I was having a contraction. They were not painful, just my uterus practicing for the real thing.

My doctor wanted an ultrasound of my gallbladder and liver, so they took me downstairs to get one. The tech was great, and after getting her necessary pictures of the organs, asked me if I wanted a peak at Cohen. "Ummm...Yes?!?" So she gave me a mini show of my little boy. He was "looking" right at me. :) Then I went back upstairs with Hector and got re-attached to the monitors. I actually fell asleep for about 45 minutes, and was awakened when the nurse opened the door to tell me I could leave. The ultrasound had looked OK and most labs were normal, except lipase. So that was it... L&D for 3 hours and no Cohen. I was more than disappointed. My doctor simply advised me to keep my appointment with her the following day.

So, Tuesday, we had our check-up. Still 1 cm dilated, about 50% effaced, however, Cohen is now at -1 station, instead of -3 station. He's moving on down!! She said my cervix is ready to go, we're just waiting on those elusive contractions to start. I gained one pound since last week.. Blood pressure still good. My doctor did inform me that she thinks I have gall stones though, because of that high lab result. She said ultrasound is not the best way to find stones, that CT or MRI are the best ways, which of course I can't do while pregnant. So..YAY! Gall stones to take care of after Cohen is here. :( But, she did give me a little medicine that doesn't shrink stones, but helps with the smooth muscle and sphincters and stuff, to make it less painful, and it has helped! I am so glad, too.. Because sitting hurt, standing hurt, laying down hurt... And now it's bearable! So we're just waiting now. I need some labor dust over here please!

Today I've been cleaning and picking up. If we do head back to the hospital, I don't wanna come home to a pig sty. So, yes, my last three shifts at work begin tonight. Hector will be driving me from now on, so that I don't go into labor on the highway and so that he can get up to the hospital if I go into labor at work. :) I can not stand not knowing when he'll be here!! I want him now! Spicy foods-not helping. Pineapple-not helping. Long walks-not helping. Cleaning-not helping. I hope working will throw me into labor.

While I've been writing this, our very smart downstairs neighbor decided to light a fire in her fireplace (it's like 60 degrees outside....) and NOT open the flew. So, yes. Her apartment filled with smoke, smoke detectors were going off.. which I thankfully heard and became aware of. MY apartment filled with smoke-smell. :( It's gross. I've turned off all the heat/air for now... it's just nasty. I hope this smell goes away soon. Hector was gone working out, and before I knew it was just smoke, I was FRANTIC trying to think of the best way to lug all of our valuables and Cohen's things outside..with a 9 month belly. :) Very thankful it wasn't a fire down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...